Food Policy Blogger, Earth Eats: July 2013 to present, New York, NY
- Writing about food, sustainability, agriculture, nutrition and health.
- Using social media to promote content.
Staff Writer, 100Reporters: August 2012 to June 2013, Washington, DC
- Covered international and domestic stories with a focus on corruption.
- Designed and posted stories and multimedia using a content management system.
- Maintained social media and increased followers.
Freelance foreign correspondent: March 2006 to August 2010, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Filed stories for NPR, Voice of America, The World (PRI), Dispatches (CBC) and The World Vision Report, as well as features for Only a Game and Day to Day.
- Wrote articles published in Travel and Leisure Magazine, Scientific American, The Sunday Telegraph (UK), IRIN news wire and other print clients.
- Covered earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, airplane crashes, terrorist attacks and other humanitarian disasters.
Copy Editor, News Desk, The Jakarta Globe: October 2008 to October 2009, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Edited and rewrote articles by Indonesian reporters, and mentored reporters to improve the quality of their stories.
Assistant News Director, WFIU: February 2003 to March 2006, Bloomington, Indiana
- Edited, wrote and read local newscasts on air.
- Developed and maintained the station’s first online local news content.
- Covered Indiana Statehouse for the Indiana Public Radio network.
- Hosted and produced “Ask the Mayor” and “Noon Edition” talk show programs.
- Trained and supervised interns and reporters.
Reporter, WFIU: May 2002 to February 2003, Bloomington, Indiana
- Wrote and developed stories for regional and national networks.
- Edited stories for broadcast.
Proofreader, RR Donnelley: December 2010 to August 2011, Phoenix, Arizona
- Proofread and typeset documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Additional Training and Achievements
- 2012: Attended NICAR Conference in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 2012: Active member of IRE and Hacks/Hackers DC.
- 2009: Elected to the Jakarta Foreign Correspondents Club Executive Committee.
- 2003: Won Edward R. Murrow Award for Best Use of Sound, Midwest, from the Radio-Television News Directors Association (RTNDA).
University of Maine, Orono – Bachelor of Arts, Theater